Monday, August 26, 2013

Top 10 Songs of Summer!

One thing that I love most in this entire life, is the nostalgia and memories we connect with music.  Songs that take us back to a time, place, or feeling.  Music that moves, inspires, and motivates.  One of my favorite things to do in my free time is listen to music that I have attached to a strong and cherished memory.  These pieces of music have become personal musical journal entries, 'snap shots' if you will of a moment in my life.

This summer I listened to a LOT of music, and there are a handful of songs I cherish and love, that will always bring me back to my last summer of EFY.  We always had Spotify Premium playing, in the huge van, the Camry, rental car, my car, Swagger Wagon, etc.  We often were missing things, but never missing a good new jam!

So.. here they are.. my Summer 2013 jamz... in no particular order

1. Ke$ha - Crazy Kids - This song is nuts and fun.  It took me a while to find a clean version, but once I did, I owned it so hard.  I remember setting up Nauvoo and jamming this in our Chrysler 200 with Megan, up and down the Mississippi River.  The best part is that you get to whisper 'We are the crazy people'!  The beat is awesome, and the chorus makes you wanna scream the words!  LOVE this jam!

2. Selena Gomez - Come & Get It - This is basically my favorite simply because of two things. 1. The amazing India-inspired background beat and 2. The fact that this is Megan Stokes' cat Missy's favorite song. hahaha  (insert inappropriate TV show on demand at the neighbor's house reference here). I always wanted to play this song when the kids went back to the dorms for pizza night, but restrained myself.  Its just fun

3. Mika - Popular Song - I love Mika and I love Wicked, so this was bound to be a favorite.  I showed it to Megan at some point and we both fell in love with it.  Such a good mash-up, and really who doesn't love a good mash-up?! Also.. my favorite line is 'you dunked me in the toilets, now it's you that cleans them'... how can you NOT love a song with a lyric like THAT?!  My favorite thing to do this summer was to slip it on the radio, and see who in the car would recognize the Wicked song.  THAT's how you find out who the kindred spirits on your EFY team are haha

4. Macklamore & Ryan Lewis - Can't Hold Us - If you didn't know this was a popular song this summer, then you were either dead or living in Keokuk, Iowa.  Once again it took me a while to find a clean version, but when I did, there was nothing more fun than driving the huge tour bus, and hitting the dash board  with your co-pilot (as Kelsey or Lizzy would say 'personal assistant') during the 'Na na na na na na na na' part!

5. One Direction - Best Song Ever - Ok this is probably the most cliche pick ever, but it came out in July, and right away I was hooked to the melody.  I have never really really liked a 1D song until this one.  It's just catchy.  The best part is Mitch wrote down all the super-lame dance moves and we learned them all!  It really paid off during our counselor week when we got to dance it to the slideshow though! That was time well spent!

6. Karmin - Acapella - There was one point in the summer where I was sick of my music, and needed some new jams (this happens fairly often), and I scrolled through iTunes and other lists, and found this.  I have loved Karmin forever, but the first time Megan and I heard this we though, 'this just SOUNDS like it has bad words'.  After a second listen-through we realized it was super clean, and hilarious!  Anything that says 'gluten free' or 'my little italaaaaayyy' is A-OK by me.  The irony is that I hate acapella music, but I don't hate Acapella, cuz it's not.  Get it?  I also associate this song with a lot of fast food runs for Variety Show people.. and drive thrus.. in case you wondered

7. Avril Lavigne - Here's To Never Growing Up - This I found at the start of summer and was HOOKED!  Once again, a clean version was needed, but once I found it, I had that on repeat!  It's a perfect roll down the windows jam, and I basically played it in every state I went to this summer.

8. Florida Georgia Line - Cruise (with Nelly) - Everybody and their mom loves this song, and its because it just rocks!  My favorite memory is that I played it once for Ben Fager and he had it stuck in his head all day.  I didn't even feel bad!  Its a great family-sing-a-long song too!  

9. P!nk - Just Give Me A Reason - Besides being the #1 song of the year (that I totally predicted last September - see my YouTube Channel), this was still popular this summer. I listened to it all the time.  My favorite memory of this song is singing the words in the Site Office, and Megan in a monotone speaking voice going 'Uh Oh' right at the perfect moment.  It could not have been planned better!  It kinda became our 'thing'. haha 

10. One Direction - She's Not Afraid - Kelsey Fearnley put this on our Cruiser Mix when she was a BC on our team in Provo, because she's obsessed with 1D.  Way too obsessed, like to an unhealthy level.  But, I actually liked this song, and threw it on my playlist.  Now every time I hear it I think of that week, and working EFY with Kels!

Honorable Mentions:
Bob - Magic / 1D - One Thing Mashup - This song changed my life because it made an impossible dream a reality.  I had the opportunity to choreograph and cut the music for the new EFY Orientation Dance this year, and it was so fun.  Tiffany Pasker and Jordan Bishop and I came up with it all, and it was a blast.  If you would have told me 5 years ago I would end up doing that, I would NEVER have believed you.  Watching people not only DANCE my dance, but TEACH it was so cool.  It was fun to stand at the back of a huge auditorium with hundreds of kids and be say to myself, 'Oh hey, ya, I did that btw'.  A way cool feeling.   It was one of the most cool/fulfilling things I've done for the program.  And it was soooo fun!


K'Naan - Wavin' Flag - Getting to make one last EFY line dance was a dream come true.  To do it with my EFY team was just icing on the cake!  Our YouTube video has yet to go viral, but the dance lives on, and that's what's important. Right? Katie Lambert gave me the fire to do yet another dance, and we love it! SEE VIDEO HERE:


I am grateful for all the people I worked with and had fun with this summer, but I am also super grateful for these awesome songs that allow me to momentarily re-live the fun and magic that was the last 3 months.

Now for the spiritual.  There are a few songs I will cherish on a spiritual level.  I have always been selective with which EFY songs I like off the CD each year, and this year, there are a few I loved that I keep as special in my heart.

1. One Prayer Away - I remember hearing this in January at Coordinator training, sitting next to Jordan Bishop.  After we heard it for the first time, we looked at each other, almost in tears, and almost said simultaneously, 'Wow, that was amazing'.  The words get me every time, and its such an important message.  It helps me remember what I need to do, and gives me a great eternal perspective.

2. Who Am I -   It's not Les Miz, but when Michelle Young sang this, I fell in love with the song.  She sang it beautifully and with such delicateness.  It was probably the best EFY musical number I saw all summer.  She was stunning, and I luckily stole a recording of her singing it on my iphone, so THAT is a gem.  It also reminds me to stay humble, which is a good thing :)

3. Firm in the Faith  - I remember first listening to this song at training, and going 'Whoah! THAT is a good theme song!'  It was a little high for my range, but it was a powerful song, and singing it weekly with my team was a memory I will always cherish.

4. The Right Place - I have never loved the fast-paced songs on the EFY CD's because I felt like they never fit or work well in EFY meetings.  My last week Bryce Romney sang this, and OWNED it.  It was a perfect blend of showmanship and reverence.  It also helps that he has a great voice.  I was shocked it came off so well, and that the message was not muddle by the beat or tempo.  It is one of my favorite fast-paced EFY songs for this reason.  The lyrics also have a lot of personal relevance to my stage in life, so it hits home.

5. I Decide - My favorite co-counselor in America, probably the World, Annie Hulbert sang this Friday night of my last week of EFY.  She ROCKED IT!! I had no clue she sang at all, and then she got up and just made this her own.  She extracted the country aspect of it, and just put her own Annie spin on it, and it was amazing!  I love the message this has, and the beat is catchy.


I am so grateful for a fun last summer with this spiritual program.  I am also so grateful for little songs like these, to help remind me of the great people and amazing things I got to do.  They rest on a small playlist on my iphone so that at the click of a button, I can be right back at my amazingly fun Summer 2013.  And for THAT I am truly grateful.

James
  


1 comment:

  1. congrats annie on being his favorite co in america.... but he's not quite sure on his favorite co in the world.... haha I wonder how many people out there who aren't in america can say they are a former co of Jame....;)

    ReplyDelete